From the files of Stephen M. Lawson
Major published sources referred to for the COOLIDGE and RAVENS families are:
- The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England 1634-1635, by Robert Anderson, George Sanborn and Melinde Sanborn (2001, Boston), Volume II, pp. 191-198
- New England Historical and Genealogical Register, "The
Early New England Collidges and Some of Their Descendants," by George
Walter Chamberlain, 77: 270-304 (Oct. 1923), and "Records of the
Coolidges of Cambridgeshire, England," 80:401-415 (Oct. 1925)
- Genealogies of the Families and Descendants of the Early Settlers of Watertown, Massachusetts, by Dr. Henry Bond (1860, Boston)
- The American Genealogist, "The English Origin of Grace
(Ravens) (Sherman) (Rogers) Porter and Mary (Ravens) Coolidge or
Watertown Mass.," by Michael J. Wood, 62:65-77, 161-70 (Apr. and Jul.
- Watertown Records, prepared for publication by the Historical Society, Four Volumes (1894-1906, Watertown and Boston), consult indexes
Coolidge Ancestry in England
- Thomas COLYNGE of Arrington. Will dated Feb. 11, 1495,
and proved in the Bishop's Court of Ely, same year.
- John COLYNGE of Arrington. Will dated Dec. 6, 1524,
and proved Dec. 10, 1524. Married Alice, not living in
- Thomas COLYNGE. Mentioned in John's will, who was
probably his father. Thomas perhaps d. before 1524.
- John COLYNGE, son of Thomas. Legatee of grandfather
John in 1524, and not yet age 22.
- Simeon COOLEDGE of Cottenham (bur. Nov. 10, 1590).
Will dated Nov. 6, and proved Nov. 23, 1590. His second wife
was Agnes, who survived him. Married Jane (bur. at Cottenham,
Dec. 15, 1584).
William and Margaret (Mayse) Cooledge
William COOLEDGE - bur. 25 Oct. 1618, Cottenham, Cambridge. Son
of Simon COOLEDGE and Jane. Churchwarden of Cottenham in 1612. Will dated 21 Oct., 1618, and proved
31st same month. Married at Cottenham, Cambridge on 23 June, 1588.
Margaret Mayse - bur. aFeb. 11, 1620, Cottenham, Cambridge.
- Richard - bap. Jan. 4, 1590, Cottenham, Cambridge. Married May 5, 1615 Elizabeth
ESSEX. Children: Alice; Richard; Sarah; Simon; Elizabeth; and
- William - bap. Jan. 4, 1592, Cottenham, Cambridge. Son William.
- Jane - bap. Dec. 27, 1593, Cottenham, Cambridge; bur. Mar. 22, 1596, Cottenham, Cambridge.
- Thomas - bap. Jul. 22, 1595, Cottenham, Cambridge; bur. Jul. 1, 1597, Cottenham, Cambridge.
- Elizabeth - bap. May 22, 1598, Cottenham, Cambridge.
- Simon - bap. Jun. 15, 1600, Cottenham, Cambridge.
- Margaret - bap. Sep. 19, 1602, Cottenham, Cambridge.
- John - bap. Sep. 16, 1604, Cottenham, Cambridge, England; d. May
7, 1691, Watertown, Middlesex Co., MA.
Ravens and Hedge Ancestry in England
William and Joan (Starlyng) Ravens
William RAVENS - b. about 1519; bur. Aug. 1, 1580, Dedham.
Will dated Jul. 18, 1580. A clothier of Dedham, Essex, he married,
probably shortly before May 7, 1544.
Joan STARLYNG - bur. Oct. 10, 1584. Daughter of Robert
STARLYNG (d. Oct. 30, 1537) and graddaughter of Robert
STARLYNG (d. by Sep. 23, 1504).
Children of William and Joan Ravens
- Grace - b. about 1545, Dedham, Essex; d. before Apr. 1606.
Married at Dedham, Essex on Jan. 12, 1567/8 to Edward COLE (will
dated Apr. 1, 1606; proved Feb. 4, 1606/7) of East Bergholt,
Suffolk. Children of Grace and Edward COLE: Edward married Abigail
(BRAND) CORNELIUS alias JOYNER; Grace married Simon ROZIER; and
Robert married Bridget BARRETT.
- Bridget - b. about 1548, Dedham, Essex; bur. Nov. 14, 1609,
Dedham, Essex. Married at Dedham, Essex on May 15, 1571 to Habakkuk
PAGE (d. before Feb. 1608/9). Daughters.
- WIlliam - bur. Nov. 10, 1560, Dedham, Essex.
- Mary - bur. Nov. 22, 1563, Dedham, Essex.
- Richard - bap. Apr. 1, 1562, Dedham,
Essex; d. Apr. 3, 1626, Wattisfield, Suffolk; bur. there Apr.
5, 1626. Married Elizabeth HEDGE.
Nicholas and Alice
Nicholas HEDGE - d. 1577. Of East Bergholt, Suffolk,
he was the brother of Robert HEDGE, Anne HEDGE and Margaret HEDGE.
Son of James HEDGE (will dated Feb. 13, 1553/4; proved
Apr. 5, 1554) and Elizabeth (will dated Mar. 11, 1566/7;
proved Jan. 30, 1567/8), who married second Christopher MELLES.
Alice BURROUGH - Sister of Christopher BURROUGH (will
dated Nov. 16, 1604; proved Mar. 19, 1604/5). Daughter of John
BURROUGH (will dated Apr. 10, 1577; proved May 10, 1577) and
Children of Nicholas and Alice Hedge
- Alice - b. about 1564; d. before Jun. 1619. Named in 1567
will of her grandmother Elizabeth HEDGE MELLES. Married George
MARKES (will dated May 24, 1619; proved Dec. 4, 1621). Eldest
son of Alice and George MARKES: George.
- Elizabeth - b. about 1566. Married
Rev. Richard RAVENS.
- Robert - b. about 1568. Married and had children.
- Susan - b. about 1570. Married John THORPE.
- Christopher - b. about 1572.
- Jeremy - b. about 1574. Named in the 1606 will of his cousin
- Ruth - b. about 1576; d. probably before Nov. 1606.
- Parnell - b. about 1578. Born after 1577 will of her grandfather
John BURROUGHS. Married Robert THOMPSON.
Rev. Richard and Elizabeth
Richard RAVENS - bap. Apr. 1, 1562, Dedham, Essex; d.
Apr. 3, 1626, Wattisfield, Suffolk; bur. there Apr. 5, 1626. Son
of William RAVENS and Joan STARLYNG. Minister
of the Church of Wattisfield. Will dated Oct. 31, 1625, proved
May 25, 1626. A clerk and grammar teacher at East Bergholt, he
married about 1588.
Elizabeth HEDGE - b. about 1566. Daughter of Nicholas
HEDGE and Alice BURROUGH.
Children of Rev. Richard and Elizabeth Ravens
See Notable Cousins for line to: George Herbert Walker BUSH and George Walker BUSH
- Jonathan - b. about 1589, East Bergholt, Suffolk; bur. Sep.
26, 1626, Wattisfield, Suffolk. Principal beneficiary of father's
- Grace - b. about 1591, East Bergholt, Suffolk; d. Jun. 3,
1662, Watertown, MA. Married first Sep. 26, 1611, Wattisfield,
John SHERMAN (bap. Aug. 17, 1585, Dedham, Essex; bur. Jan. 24,
1615/6, Great Horkesley, Essex), son of Henry SHERMAN and Susan
LAWRENCE. Grace married second Thomas ROGERS (b. about 1588;
d. Nov. 12, 1638, Watertown, MA). Grace and Thomas arrived in
America about 1634. She married third, as his second wife, Roger
PORTER (d. Apr. 3, 1654, Watertown, MA). Children of Grace and
John: John married Martha PALMER; and Richard. Child of Grace
and Thomas: Elizabeth married Daniel SMITH (ancestors of Pres.
- Bezaleel - bap. Dec. 9, 1593, Dedham, Essex; bur. there Oct.
21, 1648. Married first Judith BROWNE (Bur. Jan. 16, 1644/5,
Dedham, England), sister of Titus BROWNE. He married second Jane.
Children of Bezleel and Judith RAVENS: Richard died young; Nathaniel;
John married Alice Freeman; Samuel; Edmond died young; Judith
died young; Mary; and Anne. Children of Bezaleel and Jane RAVENS:
Richard; and Jane died in infancy.
- Elizabeth - bap. Dec. 21, 1595, Dedham, Essex. She was living
May 31, 1634. Married Apr. 10, 1621, Coddenham, Suffolk, Anthony
MILLS (d. by May 31, 1634, probaby at Brantham, Suffolk). Children
of Elizabeth and Anthony MILLS: John; Richard; and Elizabeth.
- William - b. about 1598. Married Martha (bur. Sep. 10, 1654,
Dedham, England). Children of William and Martha RAVENS: Martha
married Robert BRABROOK; Richard married Ann; Nathaniel; Samuel
married Alice; Mary; and Stephen.
- Edmund - bap. Jun. 29, 1600, Wattisfield, Suffolk. A clothier
of Dedham, his will was dated Mar. 10, 1625/6, and proved Mar.
31, 1626. Married Feb. 23, 1624/5, Wattisfield, Suffolk, England,
Mary GULL (Bap. May 22, 1604, Dedham; bur. there Dec. 3, 1647),
the daughter of Richard and Grizell GULL. Children of Edmund
and Mry RAVENS: Nathaniel; two children died in infancy; Martha
died young; two children died in infancy.
- Mary - bap. Nov. 14, 1602, Wattisfield,
Suffolk; d. Aug. 22, 1691, Watertown, MA.
- Richard - bap. May 5, 1605, Wattisfield, Suffolk. Living
- Helen (Ellin) - bap. Jul. 7, 1607, Wattisfield, Suffolk.
Living in 1625.
- Sarah - bap. Nov. 3, 1611, Wattisfield, Suffolk. Living in
The Coolidge family in America
John and Mary (Ravens) Coolidge
John COOLIDGE - bap. Sep. 16, 1604, Cottenham, Cambridge, England;
d. May 7, 1691, Watertown, Middlesex Co., MA; bur. Arlington
Street Cemetery [inscription],
Watertown, Middlesex Co., MA. Son of William
COOLEDGE and Margaret MAYSE. The earliest record in America is his admission as Freeman on May 25, 1936. John was a signer of The Covenant
of Dedham, MA
in 1636 , but probably never resided there. He received 30 acres in the
Great Division of Jul. 25, 1636, and obtain additional lands by grant
and purchase, with 238 acres valued at £226 10s in the inventory
of his estate on Jun. 10, 1691. Selectman of Watertown 1638-1642,
1677, 1680, and 1682; deputy to Great and General Court 1658.
Will dated Nov. 19, 1681, and proved Jun. 16, 1691; inventoried
at £237 - 7s. Married about 1630 in England.
Mary RAVENS - bap. Nov. 14, 1602, Wattisfield, Suffolk;
d. Aug. 22, 1691, Watertown, MA; bur. Arlington
Street Cemetery [inscription],
Watertown, Middlesex Co., MA. Daughter of Rev.
Richard RAVENS and Elizabeth HEDGE.
Children of John and Mary Coolidge
See Notable Cousins for line to: Calvin COOLIDGE, William
David COOLIDGE, Robert Hutchings GODDARD, William Howard TAFT
- John - b. about 1630, England; d. Feb. 8, 1690/1, Watertown,
MA. Will dated Feb. 7, 1690/1 and proved Apr. 7, 1691. Called
Ensign, was Sgt. in 1666 and in military records 1678-1679. Selectman
of Watertown 1684 and 1686-1690. Married first Nov. 14, 1655,
Watertown, MA Hannah LIVERMORE (b. 1633, England; d. Dec. 23,
1678, Watertown, MA, daughter of John LIVERMORE and Grace SHERMAN;
and second Sep. 16, 1679, Watertown, MA Mary WELLINGTON (b. Feb.
10, 1640/1, Watertown, MA; d. Jan. 21, 1690/1, Watertown, MA),
daughter of Roger WELLINGTON and Mary PALGRAVE, and widow of
Henry MADDOCK. Children of John and Hannah COOLIDGE: Hannah married
John BOND (ancestors of Robert H. GODDARD); twins Mary and Sarah
died in infancy; twins John and Jonathan died in infancy; John
married Mary; Grace married Col. Jonas BOND; Lt. Richard married
first Mary BOND, and second Susanna; Abigail; Elizabeth died
young; Daniel died young; and Sarah married Dea. Nathan FISKE.
Daughter of John and Mary COOLIDGE: Mary married Daniel LIVERMORE.
- Simon - b. about 1632 probably in England; d. Dec. 27, 1693,
Watertown, MA. Married first Nov. 17, 1658, Watertown, MA Hannah
BARRON (b. about 1635; d. Jul. 14, 1680, Watertown, MA), daughter
of Ellis BARRON and Grace; and second Jan. 19, 1681/2, Watertown,
Middlesex Co., MA Priscilla ROGERS (b. about 1637; d. Jun. 9,
1717, Watertown, Middlesex Co., MA), daughter of John ROGERS
and Priscilla DAWES. Children of Simon and Hannah COOLIDGE: Mary
married Nathaniel BRIGHT; Obadiah married Elizabeth ROSE; Dea.
Joseph married Rebecca FROST (daughter Rebecca married Rev. Edward
WIGGLESWORTH, son of Rev. Michael WIGGLESWORTH); Sarah married
Samuel HASTINGS; Hannah married first Daniel SMITH, and second
Dea. Nathan FISKE; Stephen married Sarah PARKER; and Lydia died
- Nathaniel - b. about 1636, Watertown,
MA; d. Nov. 3, 1711, Watertown, MA.
- Mary - b. Oct. 14, 1637, Watertown, MA; d. Mar. 2, 1659/60,
Watertown, MA. Married Sep. 19, 1655, Watertown, MA Isaac MIXER,
son of Isaac and Sarah. Children of Mary and Isaaxc MIXER: Mary;
- Stephen - b. Oct. 28, 1639, Watertown, MA; d. Feb. 20, 1710/1,
Watertown, MA. Service in King Philip's War. Married Rebecca
(d. Apr. 15, 1702, Watertown, MA). No children.
- Obadiah - b. Apr. 15, 1642, Watertown, MA; d. Jul. 11, 1663,
Watertown, MA. Did not marry.
- Jonathan - b. Mar. 10, 1646, Watertown, MA; will was dated
Feb. 12, and proved Mar. 16, 1723/4. Watertown, MA. Birth date
is given as "1645 ye 10d-1m" in Watertown Records.
Married Dec. 3, 1679, Watertown, MA Martha RICE (b. Jan. 14,
1661/2, MA; d. Dec. 10, 1695, Watertown, MA), daughter of Joseph
RICE and Mercy KING. Children of Jonathan and Martha COOLIDGE:
Martha did not marry; Rebecca married Peter SPOONER; Mary; Jonathan
married Ruth HOLLAND; John married Mary; Joseph probably did
not marry; and Josiah died young.
Nathaniel and Mary (Bright) Coolidge
Nathaniel COOLIDGE - b. about 1636, Watertown, MA; d.
Nov. 3, 1711, Watertown, MA. Son of John
COOLIDGE and Mary RAVENS. Admitted freeman Apr. 29, 1668;
selectman of Watertown in 1677. Was husbandman, miller, and owner
of fishing weirs in the Charles River. Married Oct. 15, 1657,
Mary BRIGHT - b. Apr. 23, 1639, Watertown, MA; d. after
Jun. 17, 1712. Daughter of Henry
BRIGHT and Anna GOLDSTONE.
Children of Nathaniel and Mary Coolidge
- Abigail - b. Sep. 21, 1658, Watertown, MA; d. Jan. 5, 1658/9,
- Nathaniel - b. May 9, 1660, Watertown, MA; d. Jan. 29, 1732/3,
Weston, MA. First member of church at Weston Oct. 2, 1709. Married
Jan. 2, 1687/8, Watertown, MA Lydia JONES (b. Aug. 25, 1668,
Watertown, MA; d. May 21, 1718, Weston, MA), daughter of Capt.
Joseph JONES and Lydia TREADWAY. Children of Nathaniel and Lydia
COOLIDGE: Samuel; Lydia married Joseph HARRINGTON; Josiah married
Deliverance WARREN; Mary married Samuel JOHNSON; Abigail; and
Thankful married Josiah PARKS.
- Samuel - b. Feb. 14, 1661/2, Watertown, MA; probably died
- Henry - b. May 16, 1664, Watertown, MA; d. Aug. 6, 1665,
- Mary - b. Jun. 16, 1666, Watertown, MA.
- Elizabeth - b. Mar. 21, 1666/7, Watertown, MA; d. Jul. 30,
1669, Watertown, MA.
- Thomas - b. Apr. 24, 1670, Watertown, MA; d. May 15, 1737,
Watertown, MA. Selectman of Watertown, and innholder there. Married
first Nov. 15 or 16, 1699, Watertown, MA Sarah EDDY (b. Oct.
31, 1670, Watertown, MA; d. Nov. 7, 1711, Watertown, MA), daughter
of Samuel and Sarah; and second Jan. 15, 1712/3, Boston, MA Mary
SMITH. Children of Thomas and Sarah COOLIDGE: Sarah married Jonathan
PARKS; Tabitha married Jabez STRATTON; and David married Mary
- Anna - b. about 1671, Watertown, MA; d. Dec. 28, 1718, Watertown,
MA. Married first Nathaniel ADAMS (d. Jul 11, 1710), blacksmith
of Charlestown, MA; and second Nov. 18, 1716 Benjamin LAWRENCE.
Children of Anna and Nathaniel ADAMS: Anna; and another daughter.
- Jonathan - b. about 1672, Watertown, MA; d. Dec. 7, 1729,
Watertown, MA. Married first Mercy (d. Sep. 19, 1724); and second
in 1724, Boston, MA Experience THORNTON (b. Feb. 23, 1687, Boston,
MA), daughter of Timothy and Experience, and widow of Ebenezer
WAKEFIELD. Children of Jonathan and Mercy COOLIDGE: Annable married
Thomas HARBACH; Abigail married Oakes ANGIER; Adam died in infancy;
Eunice; Seth died in infancy; and Hannah married Richard COOLIDGE
(bap. Apr. 30, 1699, Watertown, MA; d. Aug. 31, 1755, Newton,
MA), son of Lt. Richard COOLIDGE and Mary BOND.
- John - b. about 1674, Watertown,
MA; d. Apr. 26, 1755, Watertown, MA.
- Hepzibah - b. Feb. 27, 1680/1, Watertown, MA; d. Mar. 25,
1763, Watertown, MA. Married Nov. 15, 1720, Watertown, MA Jonathan
STONE (b. Dec. 26, 1677; d. Jan. 7, 1754) son of Simon STONE
and Mary WHIPPLE. Children of Hepzibah and Jonathan STONE: Hepzibah
died in infancy; Anne married Jonas STONE; and Moses married
first Hannah, and second Hannah TAINTER.
- Joseph - b. about 1684, Watertown, MA; d. Apr. 17, 1749,
Watertown, MA. Deacon 1741-1749, and selectman 1732, 1739, and
1742. Married first May 9, 1717, Watertown, MA Elizabeth BOND
(b. Mar. 20, 1684/5, Watertown, MA; d. 1736), daughter of John
BOND and Hannah COOLIDGE; and second Nov. 10, 1737, Watertown,
MA Esther MASON (b. Jul. 8, 1686, Watertown, MA), daughter of
Joseph MASON and Mary FISKE. Children of Joseph and Elizabeth
COOLIDGE: Susanna married John BOWMAN; Elizabeth married John
HOAR; Samuel married Ruth CLARKE; Benoni did not marry; Mercy
married Joshua STRATTON; and Mary.
John and Margaret (Bond) Coolidge
John COOLIDGE - b. about 1674, Watertown, MA; d. Apr.
26, 1755, Watertown, MA. Son of Nathaniel
COOLIDGE and Mary BRIGHT. Another source estimates birth year
as 1668. Deacon of First Church for many years; town clerk 1725;
selectman 1738 and 1741. Married Jan. 16, 1699/1700, Watertown,
Margaret BOND - b. Oct. 1, 1681. Daughter of Deacon
William BOND and Hepzibah HASTINGS of Watertown, MA.
Children of John and Margaret Coolidge
- John - b. Nov. 8, 1702, Watertown, MA; d. Nov. 17, 1702,
- Huldah - b. Jan. 10,
1704/5, Watertown, MA; d. Nov. 25, 1736, Oxford, MA. Married
- Anna - b. Jul. 23, 1706, Watertown, MA. Moved to Westminster,
MA about 1741. Married Feb. 11, 1724/5, Watertown, MA John STEARNS
(b. Nov. 18, 1702, Watertown, MA; d. 1775, Westminster, MA),
son of John STEARNS and Abigail FISKE. Children of Anna and John
STEARNS: Moses married Ruth HOUGHTON; Jerusha married Darius
HOUGHTON; Anna; Abigail married Roger WELLINGTON; Hepzibah married
Benjamin STRATTON; Aaron married Esther GLAZIER; and Elias married
- Melicent - b. Sep. 12, 1708, Watertown, MA; d. Dec. 7, 1725,
- Deborah - b. May 29, 1711, Watertown, MA. Married Dec. 1731
Jonathan PRATT of Oxford, MA.
- William - b. Mar. 13, 1712/3, Watertown, MA; d. Jan. 24,
1798, Waltham, MA. Captain; assessor; selectman 1764-1768. Married
Jun. 2, 1743, Watertown, MA Elizabeth BROWN (b. Feb. 8, 1719/20,
Watertown, MA; d. Nov. 19, 1803, Waltham, MA), daughter of Jonathan
BROWN and Elizabeth SIMONDS. Children of William and Elizabeth
COOLIDGE: Elizabeth married Eyres TAINTER; Eunice married Samuel
CUTTING; William married Mary BRIDGE; Lucy married Samuel HARRINGTON,
Jr.; Anna married Daniel HARRINGTON; Hepzibah married Capt. Francis
LANE; John did not marry; Gen. Jonathan married first Hannah
CLARKE, and second Mrs. Elizabeth HAMMOND; and Elias died young.
- Mindwell - b. Jan. 17, 1715/6, Watertown, MA; d. Feb. 17,
1734/5, Weston, MA. Married Apr. 11, 1734 Benjamin BIGELOW (b.
Dec. 3, 1709), son of Jonathan BIGELOW and Elizabeth BEMIS. Son
Benjamin died in infancy. Benjamin married second Love WOOD.
- Henry - b. Nov. 3, 1717, Watertown, MA. Married Sep. 12,
1747 Phebe DANA. Settled at Brighton, MA.
- Elisha - b. Jul. 9, 1720, Watertown, MA. Setted at Ashburnham,
MA. Married Sarah. Children of Elisha and Sarah COOLIDGE: Catherine;
Sarah; Permelia; Jonathan; Judith; John; Elizabeth; Elisha; Relief;
Lucy; and Flavel married Nancy WILDES.
- Hepzibah - b. 1722, Watertown, MA. Married Oct. 21, 1742,
Watertown, MA James HACKLETON. Children of Hepzibah and James
HACKLETON: John married Bethia; Susannah; Hepzibah; Elisha; Samuel;
Mary; and Daniel.